The clock is ticking.
We have reached the limits of the planet’s natural resources.
Our Greentech company processes waste from power plants into a substitute for quickly depleted natural sand.
Unsustainable use of natural resources is having a severe impact on our environment. With the megatrend of urbanization and the increasing number of people living in cities, it is expected that natural resources such as sand and aggregates, and even clean drinking water will continue to be depleted without replenishment.
A case in point is sand mining or dredging, which has a major impact on rivers, deltas and coastal and marine ecosystems, results in loss of land through river or coastal erosion, lowering of the water table and decrease in the amount of sediment supply.
We have ‘reached the limits’ of the planet’s natural resources
ZaaK has been researching and developing innovative technologies to upcycle mineral wastes and by-products into value-added products for sustainable management of our natural resources
With its proprietary technologies, ZaaK offers a single step solution to the environmental impacts from mineral wastes and by-products and fast depleting natural sand by upcycling the former into eco-friendly lightweight fine aggregates, called Lypors™. These lightweight fine aggregates are a substitute for natural sand and serve as a basis for secondary raw materials, which will conserve natural resources by constructing buildings with high resource and energy efficiency, lighter weight, and extended service life.
As a Greentech company and a pioneer in up-cycling, ZaaK envisions the establishment of a new standard for secondary raw materials on the global market.
The challenges faced by producers of mineral wastes and by-products require viable and forward-looking solutions. To safeguard our socio-economic future, technologies that promote the achievement of sustainable development goals and veer towards circular economy are greatly needed.
ZaaK is providing a progressive solution to the age-old problem of wastes and by-products, drastically reducing disposal problems, and pushing the above industries towards a zero-waste scenario through upcycling these wastes and by-products into high performance building materials.
ZaaK offers technological solutions to the thermal power, alumina, waste-to-energy and construction industries for their mineral wastes and by-products. ZaaK’s processes ensure these wastes and by-products can be effectively utilized instead disposed or deposited.
From the sources to Lypors™ and Smart Spheres™
As a Greentech company and a pioneer in upcycling, ZaaK envisions the establishment of a new standard for secondary raw materials on the global market.
Coal combustion ash
Our Lypors® technology is extremely versatile and can handle any types of coal combustion products whether they are freshly produced or deposited, hard coal ash, brown coal ash or a mixture of both ashes.
Biomass-coal co-combustion ashes
Our Lypors® technology is extremely versatile and handles biomass-coal co- combustion products whether they are freshly produced or deposited.
Incineration ash (work in progress)
ZaaK is one of the first companies which started to develop a solution for incineration ash, also known as waste-to-energy ash, which to a large part until now has been deposited underground.
Our Smart Spheres® technology is extremely versatile and can handle any type of bauxite residue streams whether they are freshly produced or deposited.
• Creating the engineering and scientific basis for the future industrial Lypors production plant.
• Integration of three sub-processes, which so far performed at different locations, into a single black box which will have significant technological improvement and impacts on various stakeholders.
• Addressing the challenge faced by thermal power plants from fly ash disposal around the world and assisting them in meeting disposal compliances as well as improving the economics of the plant operation.
• Addressing the challenge faced by many countries to access good quality of sand by providing Lypors as an alternative to natural sand.
• Increasing the utilization of fly ash, not just in Europe, but all over the world, by upcycling fly ash into value-added sand.
• Helping decision makers in Europe to frame strategic choices concerning conservation of natural resources and to integrate them in the future management of natural resources through research road mapping activity combined with economic feasibility modelling that will help the identification of critical pathways.
• Improving innovation capacity and the integration of new knowledge.
The strategic objective of the project is to design, build and demonstrate the production of Smart Sand / Lypors at integrated pilot scale which becomes a technology showcase to stake holders such as thermal power plants, construction industry and end customers.
The other objective of the project is to certify the product produce from the plant to meet harmonized DIN EN 12620 (fine aggregates for concrete), DIN 13139 (sand for mortars) and DIN EN 13055:2016 (lightweight aggregates).
Additionally, the process and product will be optimized according to the market demand.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement nº 738759
The British-Australian mining group, founded in 1873 – is one of the key partner of ZaaK Technologies supporting the project.